What is eidetics and how can it help the project manager?
18 September, 2020
Material created with the support of 4E Consulting
Eidetics is a type of memory that holds and remembers images in the head. In simple words, it is figurative thinking. How can such a technique help in project management and what is needed for this?
Eidetics develops creativity and flexibility. For the manager, this can be useful to:
- quickly adapt to circumstances and make decisions;
- keep in mind a large amount of information;
- creative approach to work and problem solving;
- remember many numbers, dates, names and positions;
- unusual to learn something new.
In the team you can train eidetic memory together. There are many exercises, for example:
- Perform routine actions with a hand that does not dominate: brush your teeth, hold a spoon, draw. Right-handed - left, left-handed - right.
- Try running a free associative series from time to time. Starting from any image (a passerby, a word in a book, a floral scent or the sounds of music), allow your brain to generate visual images and structures at its discretion.
- Imagine yourself in different professional roles. Professionals investigate any phenomenon depending on their professional interest. For example, examine the "ship" from the point of view of the captain, engineer or travel agent.
Banal five minutes during the meetup will be very useful. One exercise a day, a team game will help to focus the team on the task and generally wake up and turn on the brain.
There are also many programs that train the brain: Elevate, Lumosity, Memorado, Neuronation. You can increase your concentration and improve your memory even on the way to work or during a break.
Our brain is a muscle that needs constant training. With age, figurative thinking narrows, giving way to logical. But this does not mean that everything is lost. Exercises help to pump the brain, develop and look at objects from a different angle.